Re: Oracle on Amazon RDS

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:04:22 +0100

RDS is a virtualized product, so certainly adopting it implies some operational changes. If you are wanting consistent performance look at the Provisioned IOPS volumes
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_PIOPS.html . I haven't done any more than prove the thing works as advertised, which it does, but my main concerns would be.
  • HA
  • Operational Procedure Changes
  • Hosting corporate data offsite
  • Pricing.
  • Diagnosability
  • Support

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Ankit Thakwani <ankit.thakwani_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I was evaluating Oracle RDS for one of our upcoming project and as a
> DBA it feels quite restrictive as to the unsupported features like:
>
> No direct access to filesystem
> No OEM Support
> No Data Guard
>
> Besides, there are also concerns around the 'Inconsistent Performance'.
>
> I am wondering if anyone is using Oracle RDS for hosting some serious
> Production Workload, please share any gotchas and pot holes one should
> consider when considering Oracle RDS.
>
> Regards,
> Ankit

Niall Litchfield