Re: Running Production Oracle Databases on OVM

From: Wayne Smith <wts_at_maine.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:38:07 -0400

I'll jump on the other side. We have almost nothing on real hardware anymore ... a few hundred VMs all on VMware, with our Peoplesoft stuff on M4000/M5000 Solaris non-global zones.
Some of the applications such as data warehousing and Blackboard have underlying servers for the exclusive use of the application VMs.

Most of the data is on Oracle dNFS or going there... on NetApp storage.

Pre-dNFS was not such a good story. Co-mingling busy database VMs with unrelated
apps with varying resource requirements can add a layer to troubleshooting. I don't mix anything with a database in a VM.

Cheers, Wayne