RE: Semi-OT: Shell Scripting for dummies

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:45:24 +0000

I agree we should avoid reinventing the wheel and not scripting something that a tool you use already provides, but at the same time I've learned that I can't fully trust a tool to monitor everything for me. I've found situations where OEM/GC/EM stopped running jobs on some targets without any warning, stopped reading the alert log, and other various things. I found a problem recently on the other side of the street where sendmail stopped working on a number of servers, which is really nasty because by NOT receiving any email alerts you think all is fine. In this case cron-scheduled jobs weren't the only answer. In the end I have sanity checks for both EM and cron-scheduled jobs.

But back to the original poster, along with learning all you can about grep, sed, and awk (previously suggested) I'd also spend time learning all you can about regular expressions. In terms of a resource for helping with shell scripting I recommend "Unix Power Tools" published by O'Reilly.

Dave Herring
DBA Acxiom Corporation
EML   dave.herring_at_acxiom.com
TEL    +1 630.944.4762