Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:01:52 -0800 (PST)

Beyond 100 partitions per instance, one needs to go for clustered Postgres database solution and it brings with it all the challenges of a distributed databases that NoSQL databases try to solve by staying within compromise that were postulated in CAP theorem (
http://www.julianbrowne.com/article/viewer/brewers-cap-theorem ).

...I didn't start the thread so I hope to not upset the OT police.

Paresh,  at the scale you speak of you need to consider one of the product that embeds PostgreSQL and breaks down those walls. Once such product is EMC Greenplum UAP. If you want thousands of partitions on a table or even on a single column you can do so with that product. Greenplum customers are routinely petabyte sized and at the core of that is an adapted PostgreSQL kernel.

Now, since this is oracle-l I'll stop there.