Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 21:59:33 -0500

Kevin,
Fortunately me too :) (didn't start the thread to offend the OT police.)

Thanks for sharing this interesting info. I didn't know about EMC Greenplum UAP can do that, that sounds awesome. What other products can do so (EnterpriseDB)? I didn't see that as being marketed heavily by Greenplum (thousands of partitions) so I always assumed that they scale to large size dbs by clustering.

On the flip side we found a very depressing critique of Greenplum's financial results (which I read in I believe 2011 Nov/Dec time period and I have it saved somewhere to cover my back ) and wondering if this might reflect on the product's strength, stayed away. We don't have a big shop to evaluate a product so we depend on search data for level 1 evaluation. Looks like we missed a very important product in our evaluation (it is by design as we don't have lots of warm bodies to do trial and error). I will give this another look, thanks again!

PS - I believe even though this oracle-l, it is okay to discuss Postgres as long as it is in compared to capabilities of Oracle database.

Paresh

--
Thanks
Paresh