Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:39:21 -0500

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for posting the max size limits for Postgres and other interesting info.

I am curious to know how to get query performance on a Postgres database table with Size 32 TB, as max partition count suggested is 100, as per the documentation. Each partition will be 320 GB ( 32 TB / 100) assuming we can somehow fit the data in 100 partitions. I don't know what happens when we go beyond 100 partitions. has anyone tried this? I intend to create and play with a relatively large (5 TB+) Postgres database (depending what hardware I can get for the test project) in the new year and find out.

Beyond 100 partitions per instance, one needs to go for clustered Postgres database solution and it brings with it all the challenges of a distributed databases that NoSQL databases try to solve by staying within compromise that were postulated in CAP theorem (
http://www.julianbrowne.com/article/viewer/brewers-cap-theorem ).

Yahoo and others might have lot to gain by saving on licensing fees due to such large deployments and can afford to invest part of the savings in hiring a team to implement and manage a custom solution. Can a relatively small project/team/organization manage to do so cost effectively? I am purely speculating here.

Cheers,
Paresh

--
Thanks