Re: question on option pack .

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:38:49 +0000

Morning Tony,

On 28/11/12 06:25, De DBA wrote:

> In most cases you cannot disable anything - you're just expected not to
> use features that are installed by default and readily available to any
> user with the correct system privileges.
Ha! Speaking as a DBA who underwent an Oracle Audit in a past life, you should be very careful here!

We had a number of EE features installed, but not used, because the installer turns everything on by default AND the install guide stated clearly that "everything is installed by default however, you must separately license ant options that you use" - seems clear enough?

The software was installed before I arrived on the scene however, that's my CYA out of the way!

Anyway, Oracle decided to charge us for the stuff that was installed but was not being used - their own audit scripts (which are pretty naff it has to be said) showed clearly that none of the options was in use - and we had to pay up. A lot of ££££ was parted with for the benefit of Oracle's default install actions.

If at all possible, don't install anything!

There's a feature at 11g as well, possibly also in 10g, I can't remember just now, whereby the extra cost options (installed by default and can't be uninstalled or chopt-ed, are turned on by default. Quelle surprise! Have a look at CONTROL_MANAGEMENT_PACK_ACCESS for example, which defaults to DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING. It should be NONE.

If you find something has been enabled/used in DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS and you don't want the potential hassle of an audit with costs, then I rather suspect that you must rebuild that particular database and make sure everything is turned off and kept off!

Just my £0.02 based on experience. (A bad experience!)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar