Database recovery time

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 06:47:14 +0000

Hope everyone had a great Halloween, but I had to recover a large multi-terabyte database. While experienced with recoveries, we rarely do many anymore. Fortunately this DB was running 11.2.0.3 and I am also familiar with the rman   LIST FAILURE;
  LIST FAILURE $ID DETAIL;
  ADVISE FAILURE;
Etc. commands
Unfortunately I had no experience with this database. I found I had to recover about 20 of 600 equal sized datafiles. There was no standby or flash recovery area. However, the level zero, one backups and archives were all on disk.

Just wondering if there was some quick ROT of when it would be faster to restore the whole database versus some number of datafiles.

I restored the 20, recovered them and was trying to verify the times with the query   SELECT REPAIR_ID
,ADVISE_ID
,SUMMARY
,RANK
,TIME_DETECTED
,EXECUTED
,DETAILED_DESCRIPTION
,ESTIMATED_REPAIR_TIME
,ACTUAL_REPAIR_TIME

    FROM V$IR_REPAIR
  ;
But the times here never showed anything but zeros. Anywhere I missed?

And researching I came across this parameter to speed up the backup read rate and was wondering if many people found success with it?

_backup_ksfq_bufcnt

  TIA
  Larry

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.