Re: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

From: Christoph <cruepprich_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:42:43 -0500

I've been using PL/SQL Developer from Allround Automations for many years. I love the fact that it is relatively light weight, and I don't get bogged down with all the bells and whistles from Toad. I work a lot with the Projects feature, and debugging is a cinch. I also use the Schema Compare plugin from Red-Gate and the Hotsos Profiler plugin. As far as a development environment is concerned, I'm really happy with it.
The only thing I wish for is VI key bindings for the editor...one can only dream...
Christoph

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Jeff Chirco <JChirco_at_innout.com> wrote:

> This probably has been asked before but what is everybody's PL/SQL
> development tool they use? I currently use PL/SQL Developer by Allround
> Automations and I like. It is cheap, simple, and easy to use and does
> about everything I need. But there is a major bug (
> http://forums.allroundautomations.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&NumberB938#Post42938)
> with screen flashing with dual monitors that is driving me crazy and it
> appears the developer has now interest in fixing it.
> Toad
> I have looked at Toad a little bit and I know that it is popular tool that
> does a lot but it seems like it is a little cumbersome. There is just so
> much going. Plus the price might be hard to get approval for. Yesterday I
> downloaded the freeware version of Toad and it is really slow, it takes
> like 8 seconds to bring up a package from the database for editing.
>
> Rapid SQL by Embarcadero
> I looked at this very briefly and I couldn't even figure out how to use
> it. If it is not intuitive to use then I'm out.
>
> Everybody else chime in with their own reviews and or suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes