Oracle SE on VMs

From: Hemant K Chitale <hemantkchitale_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 00:43:55 +0800

Oracle Database SE is limited to servers that are limited to 4 sockets. When implementing Oracle VM Guests on a VM Server with blades that have multiple processors ... how do you count the number of processors or sockets ?

The "Hard Partitioning with VM" note states :
"For Oracle CPU licensing purposes it is required to hardcode the cpu
binding in the vm.cfg file for each guest or virtual machine."

The Database Licencing note states :
"Standard Edition requires a minimum of 5 Named User Plus licenses or the
total number of actual users, whichever is greater. Oracle Database Standard Edition can only be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 4 sockets. A blade server that meets this criteria is also eligible for licensing this program."

So, if I have a blade that has 4 quad core CPUs ... and I run 4 VMs with 4 cores each, can I run 4 SE licences ? OR does it have to be EE licences ?

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com