RE: Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2012-1675 - 10g extended support

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 20:14:34 +0000

The main advantages I was thinking of with DYNAMIC_REGISTRATION_LISTENER=OFF vs. SECURE_REGISTER_LISTENER=(IPC) is that setting DRL=OFF can be done without any downtime at all, while setting SRL=IPC requires a brief outage while the listener is restarted. I also like the fact that all the config changes are in one place (the listener.ora), vs. the having to update LOCAL_LISTENER in all the database instances to use IPC. I would document the requirement for static registration in the database-specific documentation so DBAs should be aware of it and if not, they should figure it out pretty quickly during initial testing of a new database so I'm not too concerned about that. The same thing could be said for using SRL=IPC - if the DBA doesn't remember to configure local_listener to use IPC on a new database, then users won't be able to connect either.

Regards,
Brandon