Re: OMS and Repository Preferences

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:48:28 -0600

Cloud (and Grid) Control are designed to use any number of independent OMSs against one OMR (repository).

As a rule, I always set up one OMS on the same machine as the OMR. It provides me access whether physical networking is up or not. If the customer wants/needs multiple OMS, then I will install the required number on other machines, turn off (emctl stop oms) on the repository machine for use only in troubleshooting or in emergency as a console, and not publish that URL.

I also tend to have specific machine(s) dedicated to OMS (count based on load) which are connected to the agent and do not (normally) have hooman console interaction. Again, the URL is not published to admins. I separate the console load from the agent connectivity machines because I want smaller machines with slightly more predictable load behaviour. It also allows me to mix n match OSs.

In larger shops, I have other OMSs set up specifically for em console. Since these run using ADF, the memory and CPU stress can be significant, especially in the older 10g and 11g variants, and especially when heating up the servlets for display. I monitor the memory for those OMSs carefully and add new OMS no separate machines based on use and number of admins who need to access the environment.

I have been working very hard to increase the number of admins from just DBAs, as the OEM core is really designed to be used as an SNMP management center, not just a DBA pretty picture place. With multiple OMSs, I can end the storage adn OS guys to one OMS, the prod DBAs to a second OMS and the dev/test DBA to a third OMS, and turn on/off access as needed. There is no restriction mechanism, other than which URL I send to whom, but when they realize that going to a different console than the one I assign will take extra milli-bleems to make the image available, because it's not normally served from that OMS, they tend to stay where they are assigned.

HTH
/Hans