Re: Oracle Database 10.2 has now transitioned from Premier Support to Sustaining Support.

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:19:04 -0700

That link they provided (aka the Lifetime Support Policy for Oracle Technology Products at
http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/lifetime-support-software-342730.html) has a few decent pages to discuss what this means.

But even with Extended Support, the first answer from them is "Upgrade". After which they will find out whether it is a problem, or an outage, and quietly go 'tsk, tsk'. And then, they will - quickly if a P1 outage, else eventually - help, if they can.

While not pointing at you in particular, I find it interesting that some people have no hesitation to upgrade their operating system, but refuse to upgrade that which is actually protecting their data. Especially since the Oracle Database upgrades are 'free' with Support contract. (And yes, I've heard nearly all the reasons, from vendor won't support it through cost of testing, implementing. And they still go ahead with the OS upgrade...)

/Hans