Re: Just came across a nice tool from Myora

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:37:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sheldon et. al,
The real industrial strength database monitoring solutions all use some derivative of SGA-attached data collection. With this method, the data structures in the SGA are sampled at a relatively high rates without impacting the database too much (in comparison to SQL based collection). In days passed, Precise (the first to introduce this), followed by Quest and then Oracle itself have done this with great success. Oracle introduced the background process MMNL with ASH in 10g to make the integration into the SGA seamless.

One of the real problems with SQL-based performance data collection is that, it is at a discrete point in time. Compare that to the continuous SGA sampling which is closer to real time with many more data points within the same time interval to plot your graph. It is true that SGA-attached data collectors require server-side installation of the relevant agents, but the upside has always been the low amount of overhead on the database. And with Oracle 10g and up, ASH provides you the required data without any special installation. It comes "out of the box".

Although SQL-based performance tools possesses certain installation advantages compared to the SGA-based collectors, they are usually not very viable/feasible for high transaction/activity rate Oracle systems. It will be prudent to use ASH and AWR to measure and monitor the overhead of MyOra (or any other tool) and draw the necessary conclusions from the data collected. In the end, it will come down to the "cost of licensing ASH/AWR" versus the overhead of MyOra on the database.
Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
CEO & Founder, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
http://www.dbcloudman.com

Phone - +1-650-743-6060
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gajakrishnavaidyanathaCo-author:Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table - http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID14 Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766 Enabling Cloud Deployment & Management for Oracle Databases

 From: Sheldon Quinny <sheldonquinny_at_gmail.com> To: Anjul <anjulsahu_at_gmail.com>
Cc: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:37 PM Subject: Re: Just came across a nice tool from Myora

Well in general, all database monitoring tools which are in the market , ultimately are using  sql queries to query the base tables which are in Oracle DB.
So when using such tools , there is going to be an impact to a certain extent depending up your Database environment setup.

You have to priorities out what are the areas you are looking to monitor for you DB. and then look for the appropriate tool or create you own script to query the DB.

Thanks
-Sheldon.