RE: DB Appliance

From: Joseph Reid <jreid_at_braintreegroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:29:43 -0500

I stand corrected

JR

From: Allen, Brandon [mailto:Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com] Sent: February 29, 2012 5:28 PM
To: jreid_at_braintreegroup.com; 'Oracle-L_at_freelists.org' Subject: RE: DB Appliance

Hi Joseph, I don't think that's true that you couldn't license SE on the ODA based on the current licensing terms. The licensing info just says that SE can only be on a machine with 4 *sockets*. It doesn't say it can only have 4 processors cores. The ODA only has 4 sockets (each with 6 cores), so if I understand correctly, it could still be licensed for SE, but feel free to correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Here are the relevant parts from the Software Investment Guide (http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf):

. Pg. 11: "Oracle Database Standard Edition can only be licensed on
servers that have a maximum capacity of 4 sockets."

. Pg. 15: "When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One
or Standard Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket."

There appears to be a lot of confusion over exactly what Oracle considers a "multi-chip module" to be though, so if Oracle considers the X5675 processor to be an MCM, then you wouldn't be able to license SE on it, but from what I've seen online so far it looks like they generally do not consider the Intel Xeon processor to be MCMs.

Regards,

Brandon