Re: An unusual case of recovery asking for an archived log from long time a go.

From: David Fitzjarrell <>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:39:26 -0800 (PST)

I've seen this occur when a tablespace has been changed from read-write to read-only and a database recovery is executed.  For some reason Oracle wants to recover the tablespace from the date it was changed to read-only even though it isn't necessary.  I believe the offending tablespace was taken offline during the recovery then brought online afterwards.

David Fitzjarrell

From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <> To: "" <>; Howard Latham <> Cc: "" <> Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:44 AM Subject: RE: An unusual case of recovery asking for an archived log from long time a go.

Does the log of the level 0 backup identify the problem redo log  as being needed but missing/ If so you should of run

Change Archivelog All Crosscheck;

and then redone the backup.  I think that would of fixed the problem.  I had a database which is not normally backed up, burt I wanted to do so before upgrading to  The first incremental level 0 I ran gave an error saying it needed archived log number 15XX.  The archived log created just before the backup was 109XXX.  It complained about a log from months/years ago.  Running the crosscheck fixed the problem, and I was able to get the backup done.  The control file and not an Rman catalog was in use.

I wonder if you run crosscheck after the fact, will it let you recover????

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Center

Hi Howard,
Thanks for your suggestion. Backup optimization is off. BTW - What was the solution in your case? Just turning off backup optimization or you figured out a workaround, solution?