RE: An unusual case of recovery asking for an archived log from long time a go.

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:44:24 -0800

Does the log of the level 0 backup identify the problem redo log as being needed but missing/ If so you should of run

Change Archivelog All Crosscheck;

and then redone the backup. I think that would of fixed the problem. I had a database which is not normally backed up, burt I wanted to do so before upgrading to The first incremental level 0 I ran gave an error saying it needed archived log number 15XX. The archived log created just before the backup was 109XXX. It complained about a log from months/years ago. Running the crosscheck fixed the problem, and I was able to get the backup done. The control file and not an Rman catalog was in use.

I wonder if you run crosscheck after the fact, will it let you recover????

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Center

Hi Howard,
Thanks for your suggestion. Backup optimization is off. BTW - What was the solution in your case? Just turning off backup optimization or you figured out a workaround, solution?