Re: An unusual case of recovery asking for an archived log from long time a go.

From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:38:57 -0500

Hi David, Dundi,
Thanks for your suggestion.

_at_David

I promise and take an oath that no I didn't do any of that ;) or at least I am not aware of an action that I took, that did something similar in the background i.e. like a recursive action (I am sure nothing like that has happened but I am trying to be as open minded as possible and ignoring my knowledge in case I haven't read any updated material) . Only thing I did was to put the database in archive log mode as was already mentioned.

_at_Dundi,

Suspecting that to be the case (during restore-recovery attempt from Feb 11 backup), I copied only the control file mentioned in the rman auto backup log to the target machine where I am doing the recovery so your case has been covered. I did a "drop database" first so old controlfiles were dropped ("......When you issue this statement, Oracle Database drops the database and deletes all control files and datafiles listed in the control file. If the database used a server parameter file (spfile), it is also deleted.").

[oracle_at_xxxxxxx autobackup]$ pwd
/data/rman_backups_from_prototype_machine/autobackup
[oracle_at_xxxxxxx autobackup]$ ll

total 166888
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 170721280* Feb 13 11:47* * c-425519899-20120213-00*

Starting Control File and SPFILE Autobackup at 13-FEB-12 piece handle=/u03/flash_recovery_area/AIS/autobackup/* c-425519899-20120213-00* comment=NONE
Finished Control File and SPFILE Autobackup at 13-FEB-12

I am going to try what Ian has suggested (got stuck in some other work).

Okay let us assume something is stopping me from recovering from current state of inceremental level 0 backups (a setup issue, a bug etc.). I am thinking of the alternative options. What options I have now to get to a state where I can make the backups work (other than cold backup)?

Please bear in mind that this is a 700 GB db (not too big but read on) with 31000+ files (and tablespaces) on an extremely slow IO test machine and each restore cycle takes about 16 hours, (please don't ask me why the situation is so dire...). So it my take me a while to post my findings, thank you for your patience. I have an inkling that the issue is a bug and has something to do with switch to archivelog mode and/or large number of data files.

If Ian's suggestion doesn't work (I think it should work as a crosscheck will tell Oracle to forget about those beloved archive logs it is looking for that doesn't exists),

  • I am thinking of trying a full backup and see what happens
  • If that doesn't work try to shutdown and restart the source db, take a incremental level 0 and/or full backup and try again.

Thanks everyone again for your suggestions. Paresh

Thanks
Paresh
416-688-1003