Re: Anyone use a Mac day to day at work?

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:44:06 +1000

I shuttle between a Macbook Pro and my Debian work station. The main problem with the Mac is the unavailability of up-to-date Oracle client/database software. Installing the existing mac version (10g for leopard, I believe) on Snow Leopard was an experience, and it will be more so on Lion I'm sure... Also the 12c listener could well not support connections from the 10g client anymore..

The entire GNU set of tools, as well as a large array of "linux" gui tools, is ported to the mac by the macports project, so that you are not limited to one platform anymore. It can be a challenge to setup X access to get e.g. the Oracle installer to display on the Mac's desktop, but it does work - after all Darwin is a True UNIX.

As for TOAD (overrated imho - it's bloated), there is tORA which is available from sourceforge for Windows, Linux and the Mac. I've used it ever since about a decade ago, when they merged SQL*Navigator functionality into the Tool for Oracle Application Developers..

Web-based VPN software (e.g. CISCO) tends to be fickle as it tends to relies on certain java versions and breaks with others. The issue with company requirements, such as applets which use Windows APIs, remains a problem. That's why we run Windows on VMWare Fusion, but the issue remains as the currently available Windows 7 is not compatible with may of the old crappy software.. Perhaps you can talk them into providing you with a VM that has the company SOE installed on it to allow you to interface with such software, though. Virtual Box is also available for the Mac, but I haven't used it personally

hth,
Tony