Re: Semi-OT: Job Descriptions

From: Eugene Vilensky <evilensky_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:13:21 -0500

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:
> So, how many of you guys have been told that your job description/job title
> is changing and then instructed review the job description and make changes
> as necessary?

We've done this in US private edu when new leadership came into the IT dept. Despite being a small shop (for an "enterprise"), everyone described their roles much more narrowly than a snapshot of their day to day duties may suggest; groups that handled 40% of one application, 60% other, now look on paper to do 99% of that one application; sysadmins are "storage admins" or "vmware admins." And legacy stuff that customers depend on but no one "wants" to maintain…

Most individuals ended up better off (market salary benchmarking was part of this) but I think the dept as a whole suffered as it created a whole bunch of different silos…I could say more but probably shouldn't.