RE: OEM vs Foglight

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:01:14 -0400

IMHO, OEM is "oracle's", so my analogy goes something like this: Its like gravity; you can't resist, and oracle will put more a more into OEM sooner or later - akin to Microsoft. (eg. You wanted to use WordPerfect and Lotus123, but in the end there was only so much you can invest, and... eventually caved under the weight created by Microsoft. That most people do not wish to learn multiple programs, and thus it turns out that everyone else uses Word and Excel - ipso facto, doesn't matter if one is better than another, Microsoft floated to the top). I think that eventually, like this analogy, oracle is going to make it a reality somehow that you want or wish you had OEM in house.

So, to continue, since Foglight for oracle is not cheap, having both is not practical. Spend some extra money on DBOptimizer to go with the monitoring tool.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:36 AM
To: oracle-l-freelists
Subject: OEM vs Foglight

So, today we had a very boring and long presentation by Quest about foglight... I must admit I spaced out 10 minutes in, so I honestly don't know what they are offering... they are saying that their product is the best and I think it's a lot cheaper that OEM... so my question goes out there to you, the community whose opinion I respect. If you had the choice of staying with OEM or implementing foglight, what would you do? why?

my curiosity tells me to go with spotlight just because it's something I don't know... and I like to challenge myself... my lazy side is telling me to stick with OEM which I know how to break and sometimes even how to fix...

My obsessive side is gathering all the information it can to make an informed recommendation to management... so... here I am.

Thanks in advance
Alan.-