RE: looking for good basic dba 101 resource on schemas, tables, and privileges

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:26:32 -0500

It’s not DBA 101 (it’s written for developers), but Tom Kyte’s Expert Oracle Database Architecture was what I used as a new DBA. Mr. Kyte is both immensely descriptive and easy to read. The book provides a foundational knowledge of how Oracle works from which expanding into specific duties should be much easier.

Short of that, the Concepts guide and the 2 Day guides in the Oracle documentation library are full of good information, but I happen to prefer a book made with dead trees and Tom’s book brought me to a place where I could get up to speed very quickly.

Thanks,

T. J.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:52 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: looking for good basic dba 101 resource on schemas, tables, and privileges

Well, since my company isnt able to bring on a new experience DBA until next year, I have been asked to train one of our system admins on the basic basics of oracle. Can someone point me to a good dba 101 resource on users, tables, and tablespaces and privileges in Oracle? She has worked with Oracle before, but it was in a single application/single schema database and oracle version 8.

--
Andrew W. Kerber