Re: OEM vs Foglight

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:41:24 -0700

First, if you have the slightest interest in a desktop tool such as Spotlight I recommend DB Optimizer which I feel is much more powerful and modern. I'm biased as I worked on DB Optimizer at EMBT 2008-2010 but am no longer at EMBT thus can say with a clear conscious that DB Optimizer is awesome. I also worked at Quest on Spotlight. Spotlight was awesome 10 years ago when it came out but now outdated - it drives me crazy when it's the only tool customers have. I tried to modernize Spotlight immediately in 2001 <https://sites.google.com/site/youvisualize/active-session-history>when I worked at Quest. Quest wasn't interested and we quickly parted ways. I then went to Oracle in 2002 and worked on a complete redesign of the performance graphics, for example Top
Activity<https://sites.google.com/site/youvisualize/oem-10g-performance-pages---before-and-after>screen. I found Oracle frustratingly slow and bloated at times so I went to Embarcadero to work on a smaller faster product DB Optimizer. DB Optimizer was a challenge as it had to work on not only Oracle but DB2, SQL Server and Sybase in the same interface but it takes performance monitoring even farther, runs faster and is a sinch to install. I think it came out awesome not to mention the Visual SQL
Tuning<http://dboptimizer.com/2011/07/08/woohoo-vst-takes-the-next-step/>stuff. DB Optimizer is primarily a desktop tool. DB Optimizer can be made to collect into a shared repository 24x7 but that isn't it's forte. The realm of 24x7 mutli-target monitoring is the forte of Enterprise tools.

Enterprise tools for databases are either OEM, Foglight, Confio or Indepth. Of these OEM and Foglight seem like the best. I've never used Foglight but from the demo's I've seen on Quest's website it looks good and looks like they understand the domain and have designed well for it. The biggest obstacle I've heard is that Quest requires a binary to run on each target and the binary depends on OS type, OS version and Oracle version so it can be quite a management challenge. Quest bought Foglight back in 2001 time frame and was basically boondoggled AFAIU. Quest then invested enormous resources to structure Foglight into something usable. How far they have come I don't know. The part I like is the Quest Performance Analyzer for Oracle. Quest had cool videos on Perf Analyzer for Oracle online but I can't find them anymore - strange.

I don't think there is a perfect enterprise Oracle monitoring solution. OEM is nice - of course I like things which makes sense as I design parts, but other parts drive me crazy and all parts tend to be slow and granular and the framework is bloated. If I were a customer I'd definitely want to do a trial run with Foglight on my systems.

Unfortunately the enterprise monitoring space is drying up and companies like Quest and Embarcadero are cutting development resources back to a minimum. Just found this link that echos this sentimentshttp://www.infoworld.com/d/data-management/can-quest-foglight-hang-big-boys-601from 5 years ago (take the comments about Foglight with a grain of salt as the article is old)

The lack of decent tools to manage your databases on an enterprise level is
> just staggering. It's hard to believe that nobody can cross the finish line
> on delivering a monitoring solution.

I would love to create a better enterprise solution if I could find the funding! :)