RE: Is Oracle Discoverer going away?

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:25:33 -0700 (PDT)

If you currently own Discover via an iAS EE license, you can continue to use Discoverer 11g, which runs under WebLogic as long as you are current on support.

<quote>

All editions of the products Oracle Internet Application Server and Oracle Forms and Reports Server include rights to WebLogic Server Basic. WebLogic Server Basic is only for running components provided within these products such as Forms, Reports, Discoverer and Portal.
</quote>

If you never owned Discoverer, you can acquire it via Oracle Business Intelligence STANDARD edition.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/bi-standard-edition/overview/index.html

WebLogic Suite also includes continued use of Oracle Discoverer. (and other iAS products) and is the recommended license migration path for anyone moving from iAS to WebLogic.

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Subject: RE: Is Oracle Discoverer going away? To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com, po04541_at_yahoo.com Cc: "'oracle_l'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 3:40 PM

What is the over/under on Discoverer or Cobol disappearing first?  Of course Niall is spot on in what he has written. The pricing model for OBIEE has a lot of my customers worried and looking at alternatives, and I really haven’t figured out Fusion MiddleWare deployment costs yet.  mwf  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:43 PM
To: po04541_at_yahoo.com
Cc: oracle_l
Subject: Re: Is Oracle Discoverer going away?  I think the last official word on this is at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/discoverer/overview/discoverer-sod-jan2009-132849.pdf . My reading of the doc is "No discoverer isn't going away - we have too many customers on it - but we will migrate it to FMW and there may or may not be different ways of licensing it in the future" On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM, patrick obrien <po04541_at_yahoo.com> wrote:Good day Oracle Cronies,

I rumor going around is that Discoverer is going away.

I can see IAS being replaced/upgraded and renamed but not Discoverer.

Has anybody heard about where Discoverer's life cycle is heading?

Thank you much,
Patrick.

--
Niall Litchfield