Re: read this and thought of MOS

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:02:45 -0300

Rodd,

   I know what you are talking about but we are in 2011 already, a netbook with a good ssh client and a decent browser (Firefox?) is fairly cheap and honestly, if the only way to access a DB server is inside the datacenter and from it you can access MOS... I think you need to rethink the security of the database server ASAP. So, my point is that a text-based site that is accessible from lynx, while an amaizing concept from an ideological point of view, looses a lot of functionality that I like in a support site. Quick access to information, good design that lets me focus on what I want instead of having to read through everything and well, honestly, It's been ages since I needed to use a browser from a server... and I think that none of the DB servers I currently support have internet access... I wouldn't expose them to the internet even if security standards allowed me to.

  I agree that the whole move-to-flash idea was not targeted for the ACTUAL users but for the decision-makers, and we all know that most of them usually know very little about the actual real work that will be done by the people their decision affects. And I say *most* of them because I have met managers who actually knew perfectly well what they were doing... one or two... but still, they exist.

cheers
Alan.-