Re: ORA-907 using CAST with a table of records

From: Rich Jesse <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:14:58 -0600 (CST)

> Procedure or package doesn't matter. The problem is that SQL engine
> cannot see types defined in procedural units. Therefore CAST MULTISET
> on package types doesn't work. On the other hand if you create similar
> object type, I don't know how to cast from object type to local
> package type and/or vice versa.

> Not too much code, although with one temporal object :)

I try to avoid temp objects if possible (unlike SQL Server!). From your reply, I'm going to attempt this with a defined TYPE in the schema. Worth a shot anyway. :)

> It seems other people agree it is not possible, at least for example here

Yup! I've been attempting to adapt that example to my own situation. It seems to be *the* web article that everyone uses when trying to sort collections in PL/SQL.

> and here
> they say that sql object types have to be used.

Nice! I missed that one. The reply near the bottom spells it out plainly.

Thanks again, Gints!