Find Oracle Client Version - from the Database side

From: Tyfanie Wineriter <tyfaniew_at_uoregon.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:32:36 -0800

Hello Oracle-L,

I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a view of client versions/releases connected to the database.

I know you can find out a lot from USERENV and gv$session, as well as
"string $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.so | grep ^Version" if I'm on their
machine. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a place that says
"This person is logged in using the Oracle 11g client" or "Oracle 10g
client" from the database side.

I know that must be available somewhere, or the database wouldn't be able to be configured for a ORA-28040 error (sqlnet.allowed_logon_version).

We are running on a 10gR2 database, and are looking for a way to find users that have not updated their client, or are accidentally using the wrong client.

Thanks In Advance.

~ Tyfanie Wineriter ~

Database Administrator
University of Oregon