11gR1 issues

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:07:54 -0800

Hello:
We are having quiet a few issues after 11g upgrade from 10.2.0.4 (10.2.0.4 to 11.1.0.7.1) in an Oracle Apps environment. Some of the issues are (a) rman restore was slow (b) Frequent checkpoints and dbwr was waiting for ckpt to complete (c) Lot of 7445 errors  For these type of issues we have patches from Oracle or under investigation from Oracle
We also have lot of bad application sql and it turned worse in 11g and developers say they did not make any change which is true. There is definately a change in execution plans on a lot of these ugly queries as can be seen from 10053 and 10046 traces. Tuning these queries can take a long time and developers and managers just want a quick fix and the quick fix is to set the optimizer_features_enabled to 10.2.0.4 which fixes the issue in most cases.
But that is not the right thing to do.
From DBA point of view, all was done was an upgrade and our stats collection does not change.No new features were implemented. No storage was changed. We use SAN and ASM
Questions I have are
1. Have an you upgraded to 11.1.0.7.1 and experienced these issues in an Oracle Apps environment?
2. I read that 11gR2 is more stable and less buggy. Can anyone confirm that to be true (in relation to 11gR1).

Thank you
Kumar