Re: CentOS & Oracle

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:24:05 -0600

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM, dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually CENTOS is exactly same like REDHAT.  Redhat release source codes and CENTOS just recompile and packages it.

Yes except that CentOS is not supported by Oracle and if push comes to shove, Oracle Support can (and will) say that you have an unsupported setup and refuse to provide any further help.

For testing now I use a base OEL install (just love the oracle-validated package). For production I would only ever advise using a supported platform. Compared to the amount of money you pay for Oracle database license and support, I would imagine that the cost of the enterprise OS is relatively inexpensive.

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com