Re: CentOS & Oracle

From: Michael Elkin <melkin4u_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:09:28 +0200

Again there is a confusion between "supported OS version" and "certified OS version"
As far as i know the only supported OS by Oracle is OEL.

RedHat and CentOS both not supported by Oracle, the only difference is that RH is certified platform. I had plenty of issues with Oracle on RH when Oracle support answered "it is not us, call your OS vendor" , this may happen and actually happens with any Oracle certified platform like HP or Sun.

The reason to use RH in production can be that we can buy official OS support from RH when CentOS is based mostly on community support, but this fact is not related to Oracle support.

There is a long debate about efficiency of community support against official support but this subject requires a different email thread.

Michael

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM, dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Actually CENTOS is exactly same like REDHAT. Redhat release source codes
> and CENTOS just recompile and packages it.
> >

> Yes except that CentOS is not supported by Oracle and if push comes to
> shove, Oracle Support can (and will) say that you have an unsupported
> setup and refuse to provide any further help.
>
> For testing now I use a base OEL install (just love the
> oracle-validated package). For production I would only ever advise
> using a supported platform. Compared to the amount of money you pay
> for Oracle database license and support, I would imagine that the cost
> of the enterprise OS is relatively inexpensive.
>
> --
> Don Seiler
> http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com
> ultimate: http://www.mufc.us