Use of OID for name resolution

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:50:37 +0100

Hello all,

if memory serves me right then the use of OID was free if it's used for name resolution (i.e. as replacement for tnsnames.ora), amongst other things.

I am wondering if anyone uses OID for this-regardless of license option-and especially how you are protecting the OID against failure. I am not thrilled by the idea of the central naming repository failing and the phone ringing with angry users who can't connect to the systems any more.

The background is that I'd like to sort out a lot of old tnsnames.ora entries on lots of machines which aren't centrally managed. In other words-try to get rid of the chaos.

Thanks for any input!

Martin
--

Martin Bach