RE: Use of OID for name resolution

From: Yong Huang <>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:27:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Check out tnsManager, here:

Do you know if tnsManager has the capability of resolving a connection for your SQL that references a remote connection without a DB link? What I mean is that, with OID (or NAMES), "select * from t_at_conn" works even without creating the database link "conn", as long as

  • "conn" is a connection string entry in OID that resolves to a remote database
  • The DB server you run the query on is configured to look up names in OID
  • The username/password are the same for this local and the "conn" database (if not, you get ORA-1017, but not ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found)

I find this feature quite convenient when I need to access a remote database on a temporary, or even permanent, basis.

Yong Huang