Re: Use of OID for name resolution

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:52:12 -0700

We are using OID.
It is being replicated to another OID server for HA and patching.

( see 300436.1 Setting Up OID Replication in 10.1.2 / 10.1.4 )

In addition, we are using Oracle Names in proxy server mode. eg. Onames is getting its info from OID.

One interesting thing about OID is that it actually is not nearly as good as Oracle Names for automatic failover.

If the primary ONames server is down, no problem, the clients will quickly send a request to the secondary server.

OID on the other hand takes several minutes to accomplish the same thing, as it depends on TCP timeout, which is a global setting.

So with that in mind, we use CNAMEs for the OID servers, and switch the CNAME as needed.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com