RE: major blunders

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:18:08 -0600

When I was installing 11gR1 in our production environment, it gently reminded me that Oracle recommends not having your login directory be ORACLE_BASE which is unfortunately the standard for the company I support (of course, it gives you a YES and NO button but doesn't actually ask you a question...but I digress). It reminded me that one night I was setting permissions for archive logs for an auditing tool to mine and I accidentally set the ORACLE_BASE directory to read only. Every database, listener, agent, etc. went down simultaneously. My lesson was to know where you are before you do any "global" action.