Re: Install Oracle XE with character set WE8ISO8859P1

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:10:55 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Eriovaldo,

>> Is there some reason AL32UTF8 won’t work for you?
>>
>> Yes, I am in trouble with this character set . I have a column that has 93
>> characteres and I am getting error when inserting it in a column
>> VARCHAR2(100). I cannot change the application. because it works fine in
>> WE8ISO8859P1
I'm not sure about creating an XE DB with another charset (this is the free/unsupported version of Oracle), but it sounds like your table was created with the columns using BYTE length semantics -- have you tried specifying CHAR semantics on the table create? e.g. use "VARCHAR2(100 CHAR)" on the column?

You may also want to investigate possibly using "nls_length_semantics = CHAR" in your init.ora to make this the default setting for the whole DB, with it's pluses and minuses.

HTH! GL! Rich