RE: RAMSAN Experience

From: Rob Dempsey <Rob.Dempsey_at_5one.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:29:25 +0100

Hi Tim / Greg

Thanks for the quick responses

I guess I should try and explain the problem a little bit more. This is a simplified version (it will make a much longer email to detail all our constraints and resources). We have a read only reporting application that allows users to query raw row level data. There are a number of combinations a query can have be it date period, type of products etc etc which makes it near on impossible for us to summaries the data - trust me I would if I could. For our large system the two main tables are in size

A	25690.25M
B      2955.25M

We use Oracle compression, pctfree 0, parallel query and partitioning on date. As our users seem to be addicted to response time being as low as possible and not having enough expertise in storage one solution was to set a db_cache_size that could accommodate all the table data and throw it into memory. Simply a large in memory database. This solution has worked very well for our smaller database, however as the data got larger hash joins, group bys are spilling to disk. PGA is set to a large value and my next point of call is to test different value for the underscore parameters that control it.

We use EMC storage however the latest idea is to use RAMSAM for the temporary files. I always thought it might be a good idea for the redo logs but I am not sure about the TEMP files.

Like I said we have a number of constraints, but any help would be welcome.

Rob