Re: Best practice for Dataguard in 10g?

From: Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:55:43 +1000

Hi Nuno

we are running quite happily with arch log shipping. Can not comment on lgwr shipping as I have not tried that yet.

but ....

I don't work with Data Warehouses very much but don't they have a lot on non logged operations normally? Dataguard does not like these.

enabling logging may be a performance hit.

just some extra thoughts

Jack
2009/8/31 dbvision_at_iinet.net.au <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>

> Hi folks.
>
> At the recent 11g Dataguard Admin course it was strongly suggested we use
> LGWR
> and SYNC/ASYNC as the mechanism for log shipping from primary database.
>
> While in 10g doco both LGWR and ARCn are given equal weight, depending on
> needs.
>
> It was also strongly hinted that ARCn log shipping is on the way out as
> LGWR in
> 11g onwards seems to be the preferred/best way to ship the logs.
>
> Does this match the collective knowledge/wisdom here? Any good/sad
> experiences
> with either ARCn or LGWR-based log shipping? Gotchas of each?
>
> I'm going to put our 10g DW db on a Dataguard regime but am in two minds as
> which way I should go. I'd like to stay as 11g-compatible as I can but if
> using
> LGWR in 10g buys me hassles, then compatibility can take a hike.
>
> Current release is 10.2.0.3, patched up for obvious problems. Dataguard
> will be
> in maximum performance mode. We might go 11g end of next year.
>

> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> in sunny Sydney, Australia
> dbvision_at_iinet.net.au

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation