Re: Academic question: How to recover through a gap of archived redol ogs with data loss?

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:51:02 +0300

Did anyone mention a Logical Standby/Streams ?

You can try to: clone the database, open it (allowing redo logs corruption, etc), set streams replication/logical standby, set the ignore apply errors option and/or error handlers, and let the logical standby/streams replication processes to mine/capture/apply through the available redo logs.

             Martin Klier
             <usn_at_usn-it.de>
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f         oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
             reelists.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             2009.08.06 19:24          Academic question: How to recover
                                       through a gap of archived redol ogs
                                       with data loss?
             Please respond to
               usn_at_usn-it.de

Hi list,

I know it's unsecure, unsupported and ugly. But given this situation:

I need a recovery of a tablespace, all archivelogs are there, bu I miss one from last night. I want to do a "complete" recovery.

The log that's missing is out of a low activity period, and I am ready to acceppt slight data corruption, and I will set up the DB as a new afterwards, but I need the data from this morning.

What can one desperate DBA do?

To make it clear: I don't have this situation at the moment, but someday this may change, and I would prefer to test this stress situation in peacetime (now).

Any hints, advice, procedures?

Thanks a lot
Martin Klier
--