Rolling upgrades and client connection

From: hrishy <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:53:22 +0000 (GMT)

I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node 1

a)Users are already connectted to node 1 b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1