Re: Rolling upgrades and client connection

From: hrishy <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 05:29:57 +0000 (GMT)

Yes thanks that was my exact question.

  • On Fri, 3/7/09, Harel Safra <> wrote:

From: Harel Safra <> Subject: Re: Rolling upgrades and client connection To:
Date: Friday, 3 July, 2009, 9:04 AM

If I understand you question correctly, these are the steps to follow for a rolling patch install:

1. Stop the instance in node 1 and all other relevant processes (asm if running from the same home, listener, em...)
2. Install the patch with the OPatch option -local
3. Restart services from step 1
3. Repeat for other nodes.

All that is under the assumption that the patch can be installed in a rolling fashion.

Harel Safra

hrishy wrote:

I have a question on rolling upgrades of 2 node RAC databases.

I understand while performing a rolling upgrade i need to stage the patch to a directory and just launch Opatch from that directory and Opatch would roll over the patch to the remote node and apply it there .

My question is what happens to the existing and new user connections as the database is not stopped what happens when the patch is being applied to node 1

a)Users are already connectted to node 1 b) new users connection who are attempting to connect to node 1