RE: Mirroring redo log groups or not ?

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:19:04 +0100

I would expect any sysadmin worth their money to search for files based on modification time rather creation time. And for an active database online redo log will always have the modification time of today.

But yes, there is are people who may consider even log files to be useless. But in my opinion log files should not be simply deleted. Rather log files older than certain date should be deleted. As log contain lot of important troubleshooting information when investigating a problem which occured sometime in past.

Regards,
Vishal Gupta
http://www.vishalgupta.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Tim Gorman Sent: Wed 08/04/2009 00:51
To: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg
Cc: mwf_at_rsiz.com; david.barbour1_at_gmail.com; Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com; 'Rajeev Prabhakar'; 'Oracle-L Freelists' Subject: Re: Mirroring redo log groups or not ?

One situation I've witnessed....

A lot of people create the online redo log files with the file-extension of ".log". A lot of SysAdmins have a "cron"-initiated script that removes files named ".txt", ".log", ".lst", etc that are older than N days old from certain file-systems, or sometimes when a file-system is filling up someone will run a "find" command to find big text files (i.e. ".log" is a good candidate) and get rid of them. Put the two together and you've got the perfect storm.

For my part, I always use the file-extension of ".rdo" or just plain old ".dbf", but never ".log". Of course, someone can still remove files with those extensions, but I feel the probability is smaller...

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc. P.O. Box 630791, Highlands Ranch CO 80163-0791

website   = http://www.EvDBT.com/
email     = Tim_at_EvDBT.com
mobile    = +1-303-885-4526
fax       = +1-303-484-3608