Re: Mirroring redo log groups or not ?

From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:21:04 +0200

fuser (or similar tools) is your friend before deleting files. (for many reasons)

but back to the OP:
  one additional point in your environment is the HBA/Network part: If you have mirrored logfiles, you write every bite twice   (regardless on which LUN, the bits have to use the HBAs and Network).   I could not find any information in the posts if this can be a bottleneck in your environment, just keep it in mind.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:19, Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com> wrote:

> I would expect any sysadmin worth their money to search for files based
> on modification time rather creation time. And for an active database online
> redo log will always have the modification time of today.
>
> But yes, there is are people who may consider even log files to be useless.
> But in my opinion log files should not be simply deleted. Rather log files
> older than certain date should be deleted. As log contain lot of important
> troubleshooting information when investigating a problem which occured
> sometime in past.
>
> Regards,
> Vishal Gupta
> http://www.vishalgupta.com

Martin Berger           martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com
Lederergasse 27/2/14           +43 660 660 83306
1080 Wien                                       http://berx.at/
Sent from Wien, Österreich