Re: stats books?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:40:34 -0500 (CDT)

Hey John,

Having only a rudimentary knowledge of stats myself, I wanted to have a SQL statement do the linear regression for me and return each value in a column along with the raw data, so I could pass the output on to almost any graphical plotter without translation. This quick paper of examples helped me tremendously:

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/peterh/b15.pdf

It's written for DB2, but IIRC the SQL translated very easily. I also used references to the MODEL clause from (10gR1):

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10736/sqlmodel.htm

I also have the third edition of this $100 book on my desk:

http://www.amazon.com/Statistics-Management-7th-Richard-Levin/dp/0134762924

Not bad, but with 20yrs of cobwebs since my stats class [gasp!], it takes a little to get me going in that book. Perhaps the 7th edition helps. If you live near a Half-Price Books, they seem to always have some quality second-hand ones like this.

GL!

Rich