Re: v$session question

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:14:46 -0500

On windows, we always do an ORAKILL to kill the database thread.

>>> Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> 1/30/09 11:45 AM >>>
Thank you Tom.

I would think that killing via oracle first is safer because oracle would roll back any work done. If done via OS first, will Oracle roll the transaction back and leave the database in a consistent state? If there is no entry in the V$transaction, then I think killing the process from the OS should be ok. Any corrections to this theory?

On 1/30/09, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote:

Ram,

On Unix, you need to kill the unix session first before killing the Oracle session. Kill the spid value returned from this query on the unix prompt:

kill -9 999999

Then kill the session within the database with your "alter kill" statement.

    selectv$session.username,spid
      fromv$session,v$process
     wherev$session.username in('yourusername')
       andv$session.paddr=v$process.addr
     orderbylast_call_et desc

Hope this helps.

Tom

From:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Raman Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:52 PM To: Paul Drake
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: v$session question

Thanks Paul.

It is HP-UX 11i. Oracle is 10.202.

I used the 'Alter system kill session' command from SQL PLus. orakill.exe? Is it for Windows?

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Listers,

When I kill a session and the status shows as "KILLED" in v$session, I assumed that the rollback is taking place. I am not sure what is happening here:

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with virus detection software.