Re: v$session question

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:19:01 -0800

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Ram Raman <> wrote:

> Thank you Tom.
> I would think that killing via oracle first is safer because oracle would
> roll back any work done. If done via OS first, will Oracle roll the
> transaction back and leave the database in a consistent state? If there is
> no entry in the V$transaction, then I think killing the process from the OS
> should be ok. Any corrections to this theory?

This question, or something like it, comes up every time someone mentions using kill -9 before using 'alter system kill'.

Using kill -9 to first kill the process has a long history of success.

In some cases, failure to use kill -9 first can result in a session that never goes away, requiring a bounce of the database.

A google search should find several posts on this.

Jared Still