RE: making graphical reports from oracle metrics

From: Lawie, Duncan <>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:57:16 -0000

I used Orca to produce an Oracle performance recording tool ( ). Orca does all the heavy lifting; my piece extracts data from Statspack/AWR into the space-separated format needed. This is all Open Source, so you are free to re-use for your situation.

RRDTool is at the heart of Orca, and is great if you are satisfied with the long-term diminuition of precision necessary to keep datasets to a fixed size. It does allow you to keep long term trend records whilst disposing of old data from your database in a sensible fashion.

If the data is something you expect to keep in an Oracle database, then Perl's DBI would be my tool of choice, but that's because I already know how to use it :-).