Re: Chained vs. migrated rows - Any easy way to tell the difference?

From: John Kanagaraj <>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:08:31 -0700

I think the question you have to first answer is this: What are the specific SQL statements that are causing increments in the 'table fetch continued row' statistic? If you don't, then you run the risk of re-org'ing a set of objects that have a large count per CHAIN_CNT data while not solving the actual issue. To do this, you will need to track this statistic from V$SESSTAT, grab those sessions, and trace a bunch of them to determine the SQLs, figure out the tables they are hitting and *then* look into whether and how much they are contributing to this statistic. (I have seen some related issues in heavy PL/SQL package based applications such as E-Biz Suite, where some of this could also come from internal recursive SQL from the IDL_%$ tables - don't have access to that particular app now.. Couldn't do anything because this was Oracle Internal tables)

John Kanagaraj <>< (Sorry - not an Oracle blog!) ** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do not reflect those of my employer or customers **