RE: Virtualization

From: Bort, Guillermo <>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:13:38 -0500

I have had problems with VMWare under I/O stress, situations where the VM just dies.

The last example was while installing RHEL4u7 on a new VM and it simply died. There are a few entries in the log and I'm currently googling arround, but I've had similar experiences some time ago while trying to create databases and formating raw partitions for ASM/RAC. So I figured I should try a different virtualization environment... Oracle seemed like a good idea, specially since we have virtually unlimited access to ML, Patches and Oracle Products in general.

Guillermo Alan Bort

EDS - ITO DBA Main Group

[] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:08 PM
To: Bort, Guillermo; Subject: RE: Virtualization

Why do you want to switch from VMWare to OracleVM? Have you had problems with VMWare? I'm curious because I'm in the middle of a project to deploy a new production environment on VMWare and so far everything is going very well except for a performance problem we encountered with running OEL4 32-bit on 64-bit VMWare. Once we switched to 64-bit OEL4, performance was great. Oracle openly acknowledges that Windows guests perform poorly on OracleVM so I probably wouldn't even bother trying it.

[] On Behalf Of Bort, Guillermo

Ok, now to the point. We need to keep all the VMs working as they are our main testing environment and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with OracleVM, specially running the Windows 2003 with MSSQL Server, as I'm pretty sure the Oracle installs will work flawlessly.