RE: Virtualization

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:32:48 -0700

That's interesting. I've pushed my systems pretty hard with simulations (ORION, dd, Swingbench, etc.) and had no problem so far. If your VMs are simply dying, I'd suspect there may be a config or hardware issue, but it's hard to say without more detail. I don't think VMWare would have gotten where they are if their product was so unreliable. Oracle even used VMWare internally for many years, and probably still does, although they're probably phasing it out for OracleVM now. I'm not using ASM, raw devices or RAC, so maybe that's part of the problem you're encountering. Have you opened a case with VMWare support, tried patching/upgrading to the latest version, etc. to see if you can resolve the problem with VMWare first? It seems that would be an easier route before jumping ship to a whole new VM platform, and maybe less expensive assuming you already own the proper VMWare licenses.

Anyone else on the list having similar problems with VMWare?

Thanks,

Brandon

From: Bort, Guillermo [mailto:guillermo.bort_at_eds.com]

I have had problems with VMWare under I/O stress, situations where the VM just dies.