RE: Server failures

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:14:45 -0500

"particularly if you've got other things happening"

Perhaps that is the key as I find myself busier than I have been in a while (both inside and outside of work)....hadn't really considered that side of it.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: David Barbour [mailto:david.barbour1_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:11 PM To: Taylor, Chris David
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Server failures

Actually, although it's probably somewhat of a pain in the butt particularly if you've got other things happening, asking you to figure out what caused the crash is probably a compliment.

We're set up similar to the organization outlined by Don in his reply. Actually, Oracle isn't paying my mortgage, all the applications the users are really happy with that are running on the database management has chosen for reliability and stability are. To keep the users and management happy, I have to know a lot about the application. To keep my database functioning properly, I have to know a lot about the OS and hardware. Lots of times, the server folks don't know what happened and the application folks don't know what happened. As DBAs we're in a somewhat unique position to see all sides of the issues and many times point out salient things others may have missed.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:

        Perhaps I should clarify. I did take a look through the logs and pointed them to the event viewer items reporting the POST errors and the restart time along with the event ids. (Windows Server 2003)

        So I didn't mean to imply that I didn't look through the logs at all. Now I'm being asked to diagnose the problem it seems.

	Chris Taylor
	Sr. Oracle DBA
	Ingram Barge Company
	Nashville, TN 37205
	Office: 615-517-3355
	Cell: 615-354-4799
	Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) [mailto:Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us] Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:34 AM To: Taylor, Chris David; ORACLE-L Subject: RE: Server failures Chris, Why would you not want to take a cursory look around? It could
be as simple as looking at the alert logs and saying "Oracle did not report any problems" and then kick it up to the SA's. I know I would do it.

        Tom